THE NEVINS MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Nevins Memorial Library was built in 1884 in Romanesque revival style as a memorial to David Nevins. The grounds were originally landscaped with five champion trees and other exotic trees by his son, David Nevins, Jr.
After conducting a feasibility study for the expansion of the 16,000 sqft library, Tappé Architects was hired to design the renovation and 16,000 sqft addition. Tappé was also called upon to develop a comprehensive furnishings package, including design and fabrication of custom library furniture and shelving components that integrate with millwork, the specification of casual seating and office furniture, and coordination of library shelving.
Tappé paid careful attention to creating efficient, yet inviting spaces that served the various program needs for the Library. From computer work-stations in the Reference area to a playful, highly interactive Children’s Room, to quiet, comfortable Browsing and Reading areas, the Library program was effectively and artful addressed.
The renovation preserves the original library’s historic interiors while the addition complements the architecture and materials of the existing building.